Argentina now offers the possibility to register .AR domain names. Until now, it was only possible to register third level domain names particularly in .COM.AR.
Here are the launching periods planned:
Sunrise period – From 11/09/2019 to 09/11/2019
- Priority to holders of domain names registered in the zones .com.ar, .net.ar, .org.ar, .int.ar, .tur.ar, before December 1st, 2015 and in effect at August 27, 2019.
- At the end of this period, if only one request is received, the user who did the request can register the domain name by paying the corresponding tax. If many requests are received by the registry for the same name, the holder of the name will be decided by drawing lots.
Intermediary period – From 27/11/2019 to 27/01/2020
During this period, all the community can request the registration of domain names available in .AR.
The reserved and restricted domain names are excluded and some domain names will likely be subjects to approval.
- Reserved domains: domain names identical to names registered in ‘.gob.ar’ and ‘.mil.ar’ are exclusively reserved to these names’ holders. To note: Even a domain name reserved in one of the .AR zones can be classified as reserved by the Argentinian registry.
- Restricted domains: Even a domain name reserved in one of the .AR zones can be classified as reserved by the Argentinian registry, making these names unavailable for registration.
- Terms which are subjects to approval: normal words or expressions which, if they are part of a domain name, must be approved by the Argentinian registry. They include names that are aggravating, discriminatory or contrary to the law, to morality or to good customs, or that could cause confusion, deception or identity theft.
For any information, don’t hesitate to contact your Nameshield’s expert.
General availability: 23/02/2020
Starting 23/02/2020, domain names available can be registered in .AR by any user, depending on the conditions set by the rules of the Argentinian registry.
For reminder, the registration conditions of the .AR include the providing of supporting documents.
If your current domain names portfolio doesn’t have COM.AR, NET.AR, etc. and you wish to register a .AR at the time of the general availability, we advise you to anticipate and to contact your consultant to know the detail of the documents to provide.